Monday, April 21, 2008
Restorative Community and Art
I just made up that title to try to briefly encapsulate the work I have been trying to do since 2002. I feel that art has a transforming power that can make people see and experience life in new ways and create amazing opportunities for connection and learning. I first started work with community arts programs at UPenn in 1999. I feel the impact of the arts is important to point out - how Diego Rivera and the Mexican Muralist communicated about social justice and revolution - how woman artists like Kathie Kallowitz and Barbara Kruger make us question gender roles, how modern and abstract art can communicate in subtle and zen ways that actually connect it to ancient art. In working with underserved communities, I have felt the frustration of little funding but the joy of students and adults who become engaged and leave the museum wanting to see more and discuss more and feel a positive experience. This is what I strive for - a transformative experience for visitors and students making art. That the voice of an artist can change the world and restore our sense of community and justice. The media likes to focus on "shock" art and how much money is spent on the arts but their is no measure or much attention to the positive and empowering acts and works of art. A museum is a cultural institution that belongs to everyone and everyone should be welcome in attending and using the resources available. Like a public library or science museum, an art museum needs to relate and connect to all communities and respect the dignity of all who enter.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment